Enabling the Next Generation Library: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Enhances Customer Experience Through New Mobile App
About the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
The Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is one of America’s leading urban public libraries, serving a community of over one million citizens in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Accessible and welcoming to all, the Library celebrates the joy of reading, fosters learning and growth, connects people to each other and the world, and inspires individuals with what they can achieve.
Since its inception more than a century ago, the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library has been committed to providing the public with a wealth of information and services. With the advent of digital technology and pervasiveness of smartphone use within the community it serves, the Library saw an untapped opportunity to provide greater, more convenient access to information and services to mobile device users, including those who rely on smartphones as their only connection.
Working in collaboration, the Method team and Charlotte Mecklenburg Library developed and released a pilot mobile app for the iOS platform in under 4 months. The app leverages iBeacon “indoor proximity system” technology to provide a more engaging mobile experience while inside the Library. User benefits include:
- The convenience of a digital library card.
- Mobile access to the Library’s catalog of books with the ability for users to not only search the catalog, but also quickly conduct account functions, like placing and canceling holds and viewing checked out materials, directly in the app.
- Seamless, in-app access to digital library resources—ebooks, audiobooks and more—from digital library vendors like Overdrive and Hoopla.
- Notifications on programs, events, and services that enhance the visit.
Download the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library App
The Charlotte Mecklenburg Library mobile app extends and enhances the user experience when visiting the Library. It also supports the Library’s goals of increasing community awareness and engagement, and innovating to support 21st century access.
“We continue to improve the customer experience, making it easier for customers to find and use the content they want and need,” said David Singleton, Director of Libraries. “With better technology integration, we’re offering customers the ease and flexibility we know they seek, also they can be free to learn and explore, no matter how they’re interacting with their library.”
Technology & Services
- Method’s accelerated proof of concept and development methodology
- iBeacon Technology
- iOS platform