Executive Director, Design
- Commitment: Full-time
- Location: New York
- Team: Design
Method is a product and service strategy consultancy founded in San Francisco in 1999. We believe that innovation should be meaningful, beautiful, and human, and we work with great clients to create a better future. Design and technology are at the core of our business. We use these as tools to take on complex challenges and identify unique and meaningful opportunities for our clients. Our team based in New York and London, works with a wide range of organizations, including startups, blue chip companies, nonprofits, government bodies, and more. We have partnered with clients in many industries, such as Healthcare, News & Media, Automotive, Aviation, Insurance, and Professional Services.
If you have a proven ability to think both critically and laterally, good business acumen, strong team leadership and mentorship skills, and love for solving the most meaningful problems through design, then this might be your role.
An Executive Director of Design at Method is a dynamic leader who works in close partnership with the Managing Director to drive the growth of the business. In this role you will be responsible for the development of the design practice, and will nurture Method’s values and culture within the studio and across projects. You will strive to strengthen and broaden Method’s reputation both within and beyond the design industry and help grow business with new and existing clients.
- Your day to day is focused on driving the quality of Method’s work across the board. You are able to easily guide and support projects through all phases, providing mentorship to cross-disciplinary team members.
- You are a champion in the development of innovative solutions, facilitating ideation sessions, synthesizing complex issues, managing executive stakeholders, and ensuring that the quality of the output is representative of Method’s 20 year history and reputation.
- Share your expertise in strategic thinking, collaborative process and end-to-end solutions for clients with tangible outcomes
- Guide and support Directors and establish innovative approaches to scoping and planning complex programs of work, especially those with multiple stakeholders and unclear requirements, while balancing the goals of Method and clients
- Develop individual goals and a common vision to inspire and lead teams
- Provide clear development plans for the design team to grow them personally, succeed professionally and have fun in the process
- Represent Method at relevant industry events to help drive Method’s reputation, encourage potential business, and recruit potential employees
- Demonstrate excellent judgment and solutions-oriented behavior, handle conflict with maturity and calm, facilitate tough discussions with diplomacy and empathy, rally troops as needed, and inspire passion and great work
- Proven experience building, managing, and sustaining successful teams across geographies and contributing to the growth of the business
- An exceptional portfolio showcasing innovative thinking and design solutions
- 15+ years experience in design consulting or part of in house design teams, spanning multiple industries and project types
- Masters/Graduate Degree in Visual or Interaction Design, Product Design, Human Factors, Engineering or equivalent professional experience
- Exceptional communication skills (both in conversation and in writing), with an emphasis on pitching and presentations, running work-sessions, and articulating and defending design decisions
- Proven track record partnering with multiple disciplines on projects and practices
Our favorite candidates have these things in common:
We look for patient and friendly individuals who are smart, kind and brave. Curious people with a natural ability to think on their feet, learn fast, and develop points-of-view for a constantly changing world find Method an exciting place to work. Our team members have the ability to listen, see value in other opinions, and are able to collaborate respectfully and effectively. We look for proactive leaders who can take and give direction, lead by example, enjoy the making as much as they do the thinking, especially at senior and leadership levels.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.Apply