Client Services Director
- Commitment: Full-time
- Location: London
- Team: Client Service
Method is a product and service strategy consultancy founded in San Francisco in 1999. We believe that innovation should be meaningful, beautiful, and human, and we work with great clients to create a better future. Design and technology are at the core of our business. We use these as tools to take on complex challenges and identify unique and meaningful opportunities for our clients. Our team based in New York and London, works with a wide range of organizations, including startups, blue chip companies, nonprofits, government bodies, and more. We have partnered with clients in many industries, such as Healthcare, News & Media, Automotive, Aviation, Insurance, and Professional Services.
The Client Services (CS) Director is the strategic lynch pin of Method's client relationships. The CS Director oversees all client initiatives and is ultimately responsible for the quality of service and satisfaction of our clients. The CS Director also partners with regional leadership to develop new business opportunities from existing clients as well as nurture relationships and opportunities with new potential clients. Once an opportunity is brought into the studio as a program, the Director manages this relationship until delivery.
The person who is most likely to be successful in this position has developed their talent within client services, a strategic team or potentially sales role. They must have managed programs, delivery, and client relationships to successful outcomes in a range of service areas with a range of clients. They possess a strong sense of responsibility for their initiatives, are flexible, dedicated to quality, enjoy collaborating with diverse groups of creative people and are able to expresses themselves clearly and directly in small and large forums.
We seek patient and friendly individuals who are smart, curious and opinionated. Individuals who have the ability to be fast learners and develop points of view for a constantly changing product and service development landscape. We seek those that have the ability to listen, to see value in other opinions, and who are able to collaborate respectfully and effectively. At senior level, we look for leaders who can take direction as well as give it; who can lead projects as well as get their hands dirty as needed.
As a Director of Client Services, your unique and valuable contributions to the team are:
- Authors and reviews overall project approaches and account growth strategies. Responsible for implementing and leading account growth strategies.
- Crafts program/client development plans, actively ensures that teams are managing to these, and is responsible for making significant contributions to new business responses.
- Leads project team meetings, managing to agendas, ensuring that PMs take meeting notes (taking notes themselves when a PM is not staffed on a project), distributing action items, and coordinating follow-ups. When necessary, coordinates pre- and post-flight project meetings and documentation.
- Provides significant contributions to project team meetings and deliverables by ensuring that clients’ business objectives are represented and that the work product addresses project brief.
- Provides overall leadership for Client Services teams and mentors staff, senior staff, and Associate Director level of CS members.
- Oversees all client initiatives and is ultimately responsible for the quality of service and satisfaction of our clients.
- Ensures that all client-facing deliverables are of the highest quality, meet strategic objectives, and exceed expectations of clients.
- Guides the team towards effectively solving the client's problems and responding appropriately to client needs, including the introduction of solutions that may be outside of the status quo.
- Oversees project plan and resource allocations and ensures that PMs are managing to and adjusting these throughout the lifecycle of a project.
- Oversees clear communication of milestones and weekly project status to internal teams and clients.
- Authors and reviews Agreements. Ensures that proper paperwork (proposals, contracts, NDAs, etc.) is executed.
- Demonstrates a very strong understanding for Method’s business and is responsible for identifying potential risk areas and developing appropriate mitigation plans across all projects.
- Ensure business terms and payment terms are industry standard and favorable to Method's corporate goals.
- Oversees PMs to calculate and monitor financial and operational aspects of projects, including scope and change requests, actual cost versus budget, and resource utilization.
- Works with Discipline Leads and Resource Manager to ensure that project is properly staffed using available resources and contractors when necessary. Ensures that CS team is communicating resource needs and appropriate durations to Resource Manager and Discipline Leads.
- Leads Operational tasks and reporting for studio and discipline.
- Along with MD and other Directors, responsible for developing and maintaining strong client relationships. Establishes and reviews account growth strategies.
- Develops new business opportunities from existing clients as well as nurtures relationships and opportunities with new potential clients.
- Leads pursuit teams and the creation of new business proposals and pitches.
- Works proactively to identify opportunities or requirements to expand project scope or add additional engagements with clients where appropriate.
- Provides a professional demeanor in client meetings and a clear, confident ability to deliver verbal/written presentations to client. Clearly establishes meeting goals and manages internal and client teams to agenda throughout meetings.
- Demonstrates service-oriented behaviour, e.g., respects internal review process, meets deadlines, handles negative internal/client feedback with professionalism and grace, produces professional-quality deliverables, etc.
- Recognizes when others on the team need assistance with this and proactively provides feedback to team members in this area.
- Demonstrates a solid understanding and respect for the client’s business and brand and establishes trusted relationships with key decision-makers in client organization. Serves as main internal hub for information regarding key relationships.
- Proactively provides subject matter and business advisory services to clients and internal project team members.
- Manages scope negotiations and change orders.
- Manages CS team as appropriate to resolve project risks and coach team members on how to handle difficult client situations.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment around cultural issues and works with leadership to prevent/resolve team friction.
- Provides mentorship to the Method CS community on projects and across office, e.g. demonstrates solutions-oriented behavior; handles conflict with maturity and calm; facilitates tough discussions with diplomacy and empathy; rallies troops as needed; inspires passion and great work
- Sets an example for effective and positive collaboration with other disciplines, understanding and respecting other roles on a given project; retains a focused attention to CS practice, but has increasing depth or breadth of skill in other practices (IxD, Strategy, Visual Design or Technology).
- Represents Method at relevant industry events to help drive Method’s reputation, encourage potential business, and recruit potential employees
- Manages the CS team in a local office (with other practice Directors if applicable), e.g. nurture team skill set and processes; mentor career development; lead team meetings; guide resource allocation decisions; recruit, interview and select new talent
- Demonstrates sound judgment and able to provide valuable career advice to junior staff.
- Provides guidance and advice for less experienced teams and provide mentorship for Project Managers, Senior Project Managers, and Associate Directors of Client Services.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.Apply