Associate Director, Project Management
- Commitment: Full-time
- Location: New York
- Team: Client Service
Method NY is looking for an Associate Director of Project Management to join our Strategic Design practice. This role is an opportunity for project managers to apply their craft as a member of our multi-disciplinary teams defining the future of our client’s organizations and industries. Bringing together empathy and rigor, our project managers work in an environment of low hierarchy and high self-accountability. As a team, all members are accountable for communicating and aligning between the client and project team. We all ensure the projects are completed on-time and on-budget. Through strong organization skills, time management and exemplar attention to detail. We swim upstream to set up the delivery and product teams to have meaningful services, products and systems to deliver for years to come.
As an Associate Director of Project Management, your unique and valuable contributions to the team are:
- Contributing to the successful delivery of projects by helping the team with ways of working, best practices, and proactively identifying and clearing roadblocks.
- Turning the business development efforts (led by directors) into strategic delivery guidelines, scope, timelines guidance and budget estimates.
- Working with Method directors and client to finalise and approve SOW (and MSA’s where relevant).
- Leading the casting of team shape and profile to meet SOW.
- Setting up clients and projects into our management information system.
- Working with the team to plan project kick off activities and pre-flight quality check project readiness to start.
- Implementing project management methodology appropriate for context.
- Leading building consensus on project tools and helping set up for project team and client team.
- Tracking and logging key decisions and project changes, communicating out where other reporting where relevant with actions and confirmation.
- Coordinating activities such as user testing, field research, interviews.
- Contracting and coordinating with third parties where relevant (including NDAs, confidentiality agreements, costs, etc.).
- Supporting synthesis activities and output generation.
- Initiating and facilitating team retrospectives.
- Anticipatory risk management identifying issues or blockers to resolve or escalate as per project governance where relevant.
- Framing change requirements to client or team where relevant, with analysis of implications such as budget, burn rate, quality or quantity tradeoffs to enable informed decisions.
- Anticipating scope increases or new project opportunities to either extend team or add new team, with director support.
- Working with team and where relevant studio management to stage manage high impact and high stakes client interventions, to always put an attentive and thoughtful client experience at the forefront.
- Partnering with key client contacts to stage manage their senior stakeholders demonstrations and feedback as part of project timeline.
- Facilitating team health, positive team dynamics and a culture of continual learning through retrospectives.
- Orchestrating project handoff to client for internal implementation or in partnership with our parent company Global Logic for delivery.
- Registering client sign off of delivery and finalizing change requests where relevant.
- Project wrap up in form of case study and knowledge sharing with wider team, as well as team celebrations.
- 5-8+ years of relevant experience project managing collaborative design projects with the principles of an Agile and Scrum environment.
- Strong interest in creating fit for purpose processes for a given project and its outcome rather than dogmatically follow standardized processes.
- Exposure to digital technology and awareness of its implications, though can be from a more brand or industrial design background.
- Understanding and empathy for how client organizations commission, fund and monitor projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Excellent listener and observer.
- Comfortable with ambiguity when working through phases of divergence.
- Champion of clarity and alignment when working through phases of convergence.
- Ambassador and coach to client of design process and implications of our work.
- Ambassador and coach to our teams of a client’s culture and dynamics.
- Creative problem solver driven by curiosity and drawn to novel solutions.
- Self responsible without being a hero, demonstrates judgement of self resolution versus knowing when to escalate due to nature of challenge or opportunity.
- Entrepreneurial by always keeping the bigger vision in mind, whether for our clients or ourselves.
- Project management is a key enabler of strategic design excellence.
- The most common path is to become a Program Director where education and leadership of client organization becomes the focus as well as developing rising project management talent.
The people that thrive at Method are curious, empathetic, rigorous, experimental and appreciate a holistic way of solving design problems in collaborative teams through rapid prototyping. Method’s culture is a meritocracy in which small project teams collaborate across multiple departments and, in many cases, across offices and time zones. We seek patient and friendly individuals who are smart, curious and opinionated; individuals who have the ability to proactively develop points of view across categories for an ever-changing product and service development environment. But we also seek those that have the ability to listen, to consider other opinions, and who are able to work well with others. At senior levels, we seek managers who can take direction as well as give it; who can lead projects as well as produce design solutions as needed.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.
If you are a curious individual that believes better experiences shape a better world, we’d like to hear from you.Apply